Tuesday, Sep 21st 2021 8:28 AM

Market Digest Nigeria


Candle fire destroys property

Candle fire destroys waterfront property in Rivers

Rivers fire

Goods and property worth millions of Naira were destroyed in a fire outbreak around the Okwelle axis of Mile 2 in Port Harcourt on Wednesday.

An eyewitness said a female resident forgot to put out a candle she had lit, which caused the fire to spread and destroyed over 30 makeshift houses around 6:30 am.

As the fire raged, thick smoke billowed into the atmosphere, and residents ran in different directions trying to recover what their hands could reach.

Many youths in the densely populated area which is made of mainly makeshift buildings used water and detergent to battle the outbreak before firefighters arrived.

The eyewitness who gave his name as Chukwuma Atamkpo and a member of the Port Harcourt City Local Government Area security watch said he spotted the outbreak while on his duty post.

“We were on our duty post and we discovered a flame of fire, then we decided to come here without boys.

“We asked what happened, they said about 6 am that somebody lit a candle and because the place is made of makeshift structures, it got burnt. That is why you see what is going on here.

“I am here with my boys to see how we can stop this fire. We also saw some servicemen. I directed them to pass through Okwelle. They (firefighters) still tackling the outbreak,” he explained.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top
Get the best of Market Digest Nigeria financial news
delivered to your inbox daily!
By clicking Give it a try, I hereby: Agree and Consent to the Terms of Use and the Privacy Policy
& I may receive free newsletters & promotions from this site and can choose to unsubscribe anytime.