An eyewitness said a female resident forgot to put out a candle she had lit, which caused the fire to spread and destroyed over 30 makeshift houses around 6:30 am.
As the fire raged, thick smoke billowed into the atmosphere, and residents ran in different directions trying to recover what their hands could reach.
Many youths in the densely populated area which is made of mainly makeshift buildings used water and detergent to battle the outbreak before firefighters arrived.
The eyewitness who gave his name as Chukwuma Atamkpo and a member of the Port Harcourt City Local Government Area security watch said he spotted the outbreak while on his duty post.
“We were on our duty post and we discovered a flame of fire, then we decided to come here without boys.
“We asked what happened, they said about 6 am that somebody lit a candle and because the place is made of makeshift structures, it got burnt. That is why you see what is going on here.