FUTA students protest over death

FUTA students protest colleague’s death


Students of the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), yesterday blocked the Akure-Ilesha-Ibadan highway to protest the death of their colleague in a road accident.

Five students were involved in a crash on Monday night at Cathedral area, along the Oyemekun road in Akure.

One of the students, Daniel Akinyele, a 200 level Software Engineering undergraduate, died before he could be taken to hospital.

The deceased was first taken to the school clinic, but the security personnel reportedly refused to open the gate.

It was gathered that the Students’ Union Government of FUTA declared yesterday a lecture free day.

Students were mobilised to protest the alleged action of the security personnel.

FUTA management has denied allegations by students that negligence of its health workers caused the death of the student.

It said the deceased was brought in clinically dead to the institution’s health centre.

Spokesman for the institution, Adebanjo Adegbenro, said in a statement that the deceased and others involved in the accident were first taken to a private hospital where doctors battled to save their lives.

He said three of the students were stabilised, but Daniel’s condition remained critical.

“When the condition of the student deteriorated, the doctor at the private hospital referred him to the Federal Medical Centre, Owo for expert intervention.

“At that time, the parents of the student and some relations had joined him at the private hospital. It was decided, because of time factor, to bring him to the university health centre.

“The deceased was brought to the health centre at 3:20am and the doctor on duty promptly attended to him in the car of his parents.

“According to him, all resuscitative efforts proved abortive; there was no cardiac activity and response to any stimuli. And by 3:40am he declared that he was brought in clinically dead. The doctor offered to take the boy to the morgue with the university ambulance, but the parents declined, electing to take him home ostensibly for burial.

“The medical report from the private hospital, which was brought along with him, indicated that the student was clinically non-responsive by 1:30am before they got to the university health centre at 3:20am.

“The death is unfortunate and regrettable.

“The university has ordered an immediate review of the incident in order to ascertain the circumstances leading to it,” Adegbenro said