Wednesday, Apr 24th 2019 8:29 PM
Lagos
+29°C

Market Digest Nigeria

News

Kenyan president speaks on the gunmen attack

Kenyan president
  • Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said all the gunmen behind Nairobi hotel complex attack have been killed

  • The Kenyan president said more than 700 civilians were evacuated from the complex.

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said all the gunmen behind Nairobi hotel complex attack have been killed and the 19-hour hostage crisis is over. Kenyatta said on Wednesday 14 civilians died in the attack claimed by the al-Shabab armed group.In a national television address.

The Kenyan president said more than 700 civilians were evacuated from the complex.

“We have confirmation that 14 innocent lives were lost through the hands of these murderers, terrorists with others injured.” said Kenyatta.

Earlier reports said at least 15 people were killed.

“We are grieving as a country this morning and my heart – and that of every Kenyan – goes out to the innocent men and women violated by senseless violence. We wish the injured quick recovery and as a nation we will continue to pray for them,” said the Kenyan president.

The shots rang out at around 3:30 a.m. local time (0030 GMT) as a group of around 150 workers was escorted from a building where they had sought refuge. Many more remained inside and some needed first aid for gunshot wounds.

Gunmen blasted their way into a hotel and office complex in the Kenyan capital on Tuesday, killing at least 15 people and sending workers diving under desks to escape an attack claimed by Somalia-based Islamist group al Shabaab.

Watch Video below:

Video Credit: Africa Uncensored

More than 12 hours after the assault began at Nairobi’s upscale 14 Riverside Drive complex, bursts of gunfire and blasts were heard in the area, undermining government assurances everything was under control.

By 1 a.m. local time, 15 bodies had arrived at Chiromo Mortuary and more were expected Identification papers indicated that 11 were Kenyan, one was American and one was British, he said. The other two were not carrying documents.

Kenya’s Interior Minister Fred Matiang’i had said at 11 p.m. that all buildings at the scene had been secured and scores of people evacuated. But he did not comment on the attackers’ whereabouts and said security forces were still “mopping up”.

“The main door of the hotel was blown open and there was a human arm in the street severed from the shoulder,” said Serge Medic, the Swiss owner of a security company who ran to the scene to help when he heard of the attack from his taxi driver.

One man said he saw two armed men with scarves on their head and bandoliers of bullets. Earlier in the day, office workers had streamed from the complex, some jumping from windows. Security forces continued to escort small groups to safety into the evening, with some hustled into armored vehicles amid sporadic gunfire.

Foreign security advisers at the site scrambled to make sure their clients were safe.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top
SUBSCRIBE NOW!
Get the best of Market Digest Nigeria financial news
delivered to your inbox daily!
By clicking Give it a try, I hereby: Agree and Consent to the Terms of Use and the Privacy Policy
& I may receive free newsletters & promotions from this site and can choose to unsubscribe anytime.