Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has guaranteed his future to the La Liga club despite an expected departure of senior players from the Estadio Metropolitano this summer. The Argentine Simeone, 49, has said he will overlook the changing of the guard as he looks to rebuild the 2014 La Liga winners, who came second this season behind champions Barcelona.
Atletico looks set for arguably its most important transfer window since Simeone returned to the club as coach in 2011, with numerous key players departing. Juanfran, Diego Godin and Filipe Luis are expected to leave on free transfers, Lucas Hernandez will join Bayern Munich, while Vitolo, Santiago Arias, Thomas Partey, Rodrigo and Saul Niguez have been strongly linked with moves.
Antoine Griezmann also announced his intention to leave the club despite only signing a new contract last year. With several major European clubs set to change coaches, Simeone had been suggested as a potential target for some, though he insists he is not about to jump ship.
Speaking after Tuesday’s 2-1 friendly defeat to Beitar Jerusalem, Simeone said: “I like my job, I feel very identified and committed to the club. I know that year on year it’s always more difficult and that makes us see our real selves and generate enthusiasm. “Next season there will be football players who will arrive with great enthusiasm and hopefully adapt to the responsibility that means being at Atletico Madrid.”